Indian Institute of Information Technology Allahabad, India
|PhD in Cybernetics,
Thesis: Motion Planning for Multiple Autonomous Vehicles
School of Cybernetics, School of Systems Engineering,
University of Reading, UK
|BTech (IT) + MTech (IT) (5-year Integrated)
Thesis: Robotic Path Planning using Artificial Intelligence and Soft Computing Techniques
Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management Gwalior, India
|All India Senior School Certificate Examination (Class XII)
Maheshwari Public School, Jaipur
Central Board of Secondary Education, India
|All India Senior School Examination (Class X)
St. Paul’s School, Gwalior
Central Board of Senior Secondary Education, India
Areas of Research
- Mission Planning for mobile robots
- Robot Motion Planning
- Intelligent Vehicles and Intelligent Transportation Systems
- Neural Networks, Evolutionary Algorithms, Hybrid Soft Computing
- Pattern Recognition and Classification
Scholarships and Awards
- First Prize in Best PhD Dissertation award by the IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Society worth USD $1,000. Awarded at the 2014 IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference at Qingdao, China.
- Commonwealth 2010 (UK) scholarship for pursuing PhD at the University of Reading, UK, approximately worth £71,000.
- Travel grant for attending 2012 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, Alcalá de Henares, Spain, June 3-7, 2012 (sponsored by University of Reading and Commonwealth Scholarship) worth £800.
- Researcher of the Year from the School of Systems Engineering, University of Reading, UK a competition for 3rd year PhD students; nominated for the award at the university level, did not win.
- Lord of the Code scholarship (1st prize) from RedHat and Ekalavya, KReSIT, IIT Bombay worth Rs. 2 lacs (as a team).
- GATE scholarship for pursuing MTech worth Rs. 80,000.
- As an undergraduate student, numerous awards in software, programming and related contests.
- Funded project entitled Mission Planning using Sampling based Techniques as Principle Investigator from the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India for Rs. 39,28,766.
|Year||Books||Journals (SCI)||Journals (Else)||Conferences/ Book Chapters||
- R. Kala (2016) On-Road Intelligent Vehicles: Motion Planning for Intelligent Transportation Systems, Elsevier, Waltham, MA.
- R. Tiwari, A. Shukla, R. Kala (2013) Intelligent Planning for Mobile Robotics:Algorithmic Approaches, IGI Global Publishers,Hershey, PA.
- A. Shukla, R. Tiwari, R. Kala (2010) Real Life Applications of Soft Computing, CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- A. Shukla, R. Tiwari, R. Kala (2010) Towards Hybrid and Adaptive Computing: A Perspective, Studies in Computational Intelligence, Springer-Verlag Berlin, Heidelberg.
- R. Kala (2010) Video Lecture of Soft Computing (39 Hour Video Lecture Series), Soft Computing and Expert System Laboratory, IIITM Gwalior, India. Available at: http://rkala.in/softcomputingvideos.php
- R. Kala (2013) Motion Planning for Multiple Autonomous Vehicles (14 videos/13 hours Video Lecture Series), School of Cybernetics, School of Systems Engineering, University of Reading, UK. Available at: http://rkala.in/autonomousvehiclesvideos.php
International Journals - SCI
- R. Kala (2016) Homotopic Roadmap Generation for Robot Motion Planning, Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems, 82(3): 555–575.
- R. Kala (2016) Reaching destination on time with cooperative intelligent transportation systems, Advanced Transportation 50(2): 214–227.
- R. Kala (2016) Homotopy conscious roadmap construction by fast sampling of narrow corridors, Applied Intelligence, 45(4): 1089-1102.
- R. Kala, K. Warwick (2015) Congestion Avoidance in City Traffic. Journal of Advanced Transportation, 49(4): 581–595. (Download Paper)
- R. Kala, K. Warwick (2015) Intelligent Transportation System with Diverse Semi-Autonomous Vehicles, International Journal of Computational Intelligent Systems, 8(5): 886-899. (Download Paper)
- R. Kala, K. Warwick (2014) Computing Journey Start Times with Recurrent Traffic Conditions. IET Intelligent Transport Systems, 8(8): 681 – 687. (Download Paper)
- R. Kala, K. Warwick (2014) Dynamic Distributed Lanes: Motion Planning for Multiple Autonomous Vehicles. Applied Intelligence, 41(1): 260-281. (Download Paper)
- R. Kala (2014) Navigating Multiple Mobile Robots without Direct Communication. International Journal of Intelligent Systems, 29(8): 767–786. (Download Paper)
- R. Kala, K. Warwick (2014) Heuristic based evolution for the coordination of autonomous vehicles in the absence of speed lanes. Applied Soft Computing, 19: 387–402 (Download Paper)
- R. Kala (2014) Coordination in Navigation of Multiple Mobile Robots. Cybernetics and Systems, 45(1): 1-24. (Download Paper)
- R. Kala, K. Warwick (2013) Planning Autonomous Vehicles in the Absence of Speed Lanes using an Elastic Strip. IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, 14(4): 1743-1752. (Download Paper)
- R. Kala, K. Warwick (2013) Multi-Level Planning for Semi-Autonomous Vehicles in Traffic Scenarios based on Separation Maximization. Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems, 72(3-4): 559-590. (Download Paper)
- R. Kala (2013) Rapidly-exploring Random Graphs: Motion Planning of Multiple Mobile Robots. Advanced Robotics, 27(14): 1113-1122. (Download Paper)
- R. Kala, K. Warwick (2013) Motion Planning of Autonomous Vehicles in a Non-Autonomous Vehicle Environment without Speed Lanes. Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, 26(5-6): 1588–1601. (Download Paper)
- R. Kala (2013) Multi-Robot Motion Planning using Hybrid MNHS and Genetic Algorithms. Applied Artificial Intelligence, 27(3): 170-198. (Download Paper)
- R. Kala (2012) Multi-Robot Path Planning using Co-Evolutionary Genetic Programming. Expert Systems With Applications, 39(3): 3817-3831. (Download Paper)
- R. Kala, A. Shukla, R. Tiwari (2011) Robotic path planning in static environment using hierarchical multi-neuron heuristic search and probability based fitness. Neurocomputing, 74(14-15): 2314-2335. (Download Paper)
- R. Kala, A. Shukla, R. Tiwari (2011) Robotic Path Planning using Evolutionary Momentum based Exploration. Journal of Experimental and Theoretical Artificial Intelligence, 23(4): 469-495. (Download Paper)
- R. Kala, A. Shukla, R. Tiwari (2010) Dynamic Environment Robot Path Planning using Hierarchical Evolutionary Algorithms. Cybernetics and Systems, 41(6): 435-454. (Download Paper)
- R. Kala, A. Shukla, R. Tiwari (2010) Fusion of probabilistic A* algorithm and fuzzy inference system for robotic path planning. Artificial Intelligence Review, 33(4): 275-306. (Download Paper) (Download PPT)
- R. Kala, A. Shukla, R. Tiwari (2009) Self-Adaptive Parallel Processing Neural Networks with irregular Nodal Processing Powers using Hierarchical Partitioning. Neural Network World, 19(6): 657-680. (Download Paper) (Download PPT)
(Source: Google Scholar)
- Artificial Intelligence for 3rd year undergraduate IT students
- Robot Motion Planning for final year undergraduate and postgraduate students
- Data Structures for 1st year undergraduate students
- Artificial Life Simulations for first year postgraduate students
- Robotics and Industrial Automation for final year undergraduate and post-graduate students
Review Assignments and Program Committees
Lectures and Invited Talks
- Talk on Robotics Programming, Android and Python at 2nd Spell of In-Service Course for PGT (CS) at Kendriya Vidyalaya (25th December and 27th December, 2016).
- Talk on “Mobile Robotics” at Infotsav 2016, the annual techno-management festival of IIITM Gwalior (12th November, 2016).
- Talk on “Towards Apocalypse of Human Driving and Re-Shaping Futuristic Transportation Systems” at TEDxIIITA (31st January, 2016).
- Plenary talk on “Motion Planning for Multiple Autonomous Vehicles” at the annual flagship conference of the IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Society in 2014 at Qingdao, China (9th October, 2014).
- Talk on "Motion Planning for Multiple Autonomous Vehicles", at IIT Bombay (13th November, 2014).
- Lecture on “A* algorithm with applications to Robot Path Planning”, at IIITM Gwalior (21st February, 2014).
- Lecture on "Artificial Intelligence: Introduction and Motivation" at B.M.A.S. College of Engineering, Agra (11th August, 2010).
- Lab Instructor for course titled C Programming for 1st year students at IIITM Gwalior (August, 2009 to December, 2009).
- Lectures on Data Structures and Algorithms for training program Training for Professionals, IIITM Gwalior (February, 2009 and October, 2009).
Major Workshops/Conferences Attended
- Japan-East Asia Network of Exchange for Students and Youths (JENESYS) program at different places in Japan from 24th September to 4th October, 2016.
- 2016 IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence, Vancouver, Canada, July 24-29, 2016.
- 17th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, Qingdao, China, October 8-11, 2014.
- 2012 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, Alcalá de Henares, Spain, June 3-7, 2012.
- 10th IEEE International Conference on Cybernetic Intelligent Systems, Docklands, London, September 1, 2011.
- Commonwealth, Human Rights and Democracy, Common, Association of Commonwealth Universities, Cumberland Lodge, Windsor, March 11-13, 2011.
- One Day Workshop on "How to get Published in Internationally Referred Journals: A Practical Guide" by Prof. Om Prakash Gupta, College of Business, Prairie View A & M University, USA at IIITM Gwalior, March 27, 2010
- Frontiers of Research on Speech and Music (FRSM 2009) , ITC Sangeet Research Academy, Kolkata; CDAC, Kolkata; Sir C V Raman Centre for Physics and Music, Jadavpur University, Kolkata; BIT Mesra; ABV Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management, Gwalior, Dec 15-16, 2009
- Indo-US Workshop on System of Systems Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, Kanpur, India, Oct 26-28, 2009
- Springer International Conference on Contemporary Computing (IC3), Jaypee Institute of Information Technology University & University of Florida, Noida, India, Aug 17-19, 2009
- IEEE International Advanced Computing Conference (IACC), Patiala, India, March 6-7, 2009
- National Symposium on Acoustics (NSA), Acoustic Society of India (ASI) & Naval Science and Technological Laboratoy (NSTL), Vishakapatnam, December 22-24, 2008.
- 7 day "National Workshop on Computational Neuroscience" (CNSW-2008), Singhad Institute of Business Administration and Computer Application (SIBACA), Lonavala, 23-28 June, 2008.
- Member, Network Committee (2016-continue)
- Member, Department Under Graduate Committee (2015-continue)
- Advisor, Technical Council, Student Gymkhana (2015-continue)
- Treasurer, Robotics and Automation Society, UP Section Chapter (2015-continue)
- One of the Coordinators for the First SERB Summer School on Robotics, 7-13 June, 2014 held at IIIT Allahabad, sponsored by Science and Engineering Research Board, Department of Science and Technology, Government of India.
- Member, Academic Committee at the Seventh Science Conclave, 8-12 December, 2014 held at IIIT Allahabad.
- Member, Print Committee at the 10th Convocation, 9 November, 2015 held at IIIT Allahabad
- Member, Print Committee at the 11th Convocation, 24 September, 2016 held at IIIT Allahabad
|Office||+91 532 292 2117|
|Residence||+91 532 292 2685|
|Mobile||+91 7054 292 063|